Life got a little busy over the past couple of months so I’ve skipped the March and April updates and gone right into May!
My Goals for 2017 – May Update
I have goals in five broad categories for 2017
- Personal Development
Each month I set out specific goals within these categories and at the end of the month check in to keep myself accountable to what I set out to achieve.
Goals for the year:
- Commit to the majority of evenings every week with my partner that don’t involve me sitting in front of a computer
- Commit to at least one one-on-one activity with each kid per month (this may also be a one kid – two adult activity)
- Take a vacation with my partner without our kids
- Take a vacation as a family during the summer
Continue going to bed at the same time as my partner Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings
I generally accomplished this in March and April, but not as rigorously as I would like. It worked well for the first couple of months of the year and then it got harder to maintain. We are implementing some changes to the kids’ bedtime routines that will give us more time in the evenings after we put them to bed and make it easier to maintain our own bedtime routines.
Take each kid out to a cafe for at least an hour for one-on-one time
We did this in March, but not in April. It wasn’t really out to a cafe, but it was committed one-on-one time. I taught my ten year old how to play chess and we have played a few matches since then. My eight year old and I build a bunk bed for her 18′ doll. I did some colouring with my three year old. We are going to make time to do this in May.
Go out with my partner on at least one date with no kids
Done in March, not in April. Aiming to get back on track for May.
- Stick to new bedtime routine for the kids and bedtime schedule for adults!
- Schedule one-on-one time with each kid.
- Go on at least one date with my partner with no kids
- Start planning for a summer vacation
Business Goals for the year
- Generate at least $500 / month in sales every month through more active marketing year round
- Spread out the production work by doing work every week to partially make products to reduce prep time during busier times of the year
- Develop higher value products to enable higher profit with reduced production time
- Reduce production time by looking for ways to improve efficiency
- Evaluate potential for communications consulting and follow up on 2016 proposal
Generally March and April have been very busy months with Thomas Woodcrafts. I found a new marketing channel that has resulted in a significant increase in sales. I have already topped my total sales for 2016 and as a result I have spent quite a bit of time in the shop keeping up with orders.
Produce one newsletter
Done in March and April.
Clean up Etsy Listings for all products
Write new product copy for at least two products
Partially done as I cleaned up Etsy listings
Build, photograph and post a folding version of learning tower
- Begin fulfilling large bulk order of play rockers
- Build, photograph and post folding version of learning tower
- Post product listing for new wood BBQ scrapers
- Produce one newsletter – featuring new wood BBQ scrapers
- Run Facebook ad campaign to boost sales for slower summer season
- Prepare for craft show taking place in mid-June
- Begin preparing for the busy fall season by cutting more scrap wood into parts for products
Goals for the year
- Increase readership to 10,000 per month by writing quality content and promoting it more effectively
- Write at least one blog post a week, keeping in mind my focus on spending more time with my partner and kids
- Write at least two pieces of evergreen content per month
- Complete cleaning up older content
- Promote older content by sharing one piece on social platforms like Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest per day
- Submit two pieces of content to other sites per month
- Produce at least one newsletter per month
Write two posts for another site
I started writing posts for other sites and have some partial posts written. I also reached out to places looking for guest posts. I just haven’t had the energy or creativity for writing. All of that has been going into cutting and sanding wood lately.
Post one piece of my content to Facebook every day
I was doing this consistently in March and dropped off in April
Clean up at least two pieces of older content per week
I am still doing this. I have about 60 left to go and should have them all done by the end of the summer at the rate I am going.
Develop a content calendar for the year
I still haven’t done this and realistically it isn’t going to happen.
Write one blog post per week
I have only written six posts on my site since the beginning of March. I have quite a few partial posts and ideas written.
Write one newsletter
Done in March and April
Share older posts on Life of Dad
I have been very sporadic about this and need to adhere to my schedule
- Write at least one post per week, including two evergreen posts
- Produce one newsletter
- Write two pieces of content for other sites
- Post at least one blog post to my Facebook page per day
- Clean up at least four older blog posts
- Share older posts on Life of Dad site
Goals for the year
- I will lose 20 lbs. by the end of 2017 through calorie monitoring and increased activity
Monitor my calorie intake every day and post them on a tracking calendar
I did moderately well doing this in March and then at the end of April I started up again and have been consistently tracking almost every day since then.
Keep up my morning exercises
In March I did well at doing my push ups regularly. It wasn’t every other day as planned. I tried doing the yoga routines, but they were too long for the time I had available so I need to find something shorter. The exercises fell victim to needing my morning hour before getting the kids up to cut and sand wood.
Look for a scale
I bought a scale in mid-April and it is the motivation I needed for calorie-tracking. I am now weighing myself every Saturday morning, which helps me keep track of my progress towards my 20lb. weight loss goal for the year. I am down seven lbs. so far!
- Get back to the exercise routines
- Track calories and record on my tracking calendar
Goals for the year
- Finish at least one book per month (other than all the books I read to the kids)
- Complete four online learning courses by the end of the year
- Take advantage of the webinars available through work and complete one per week
Finish reading SPQR and The Art of Asking
Done and then also finished Born a Crime by Trevor Noah, The Science of Why by Jay Ingram and I think something else too.
Complete at least two online courses through work
I finished one in March and two in April.
- Read Pivot by Jenny Blake
- Complete at least two online courses through work
- Choose an online course I can take in June